8.11.2006

Updates:

1) Liz is leaving me tomorrow to go to Germany... this is going to be a long week.

2) I think I might try to start going to church here: http://www.fountainstreet.org/

3) I was hired at Pine Rest as an adult care provider. I have an orientation on Monday. Oh, and I took some pictures of the Pine Rest facility today. I could only take three because of my lack of a memory card, but I thought they all turned out rather well. Anyway, here they are:




4) I also got a call from Family Video about scheduling an interview, which might be fun... I do love movies, after all. =) I just don't know if I'll be able to work two jobs along with my classes. The job at Pine Rest is "per diem," but I'm not sure exactly what that would entail for scheduling. Hopefully, I'll discover more after my orientation. So, I hate to make a commitment to work at Family Video until I know more... but I don't know how to convey that to them and still maintain their apparent interest in hiring me. Any ideas, friends?

5) This week is going to suck. Maybe I'll just come home... or spend the whole time in Kalamazoo. I've spent the last few weeks watching WAY too many movies. My favorite to entry into David's top favorite movies of all time is Stanley Kubrick's AMAZING Cold War satire entitled "Dr. Strangelove OR: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb." FANTASTIC! You won't see Peter Sellers in a better performance until 15 years later in his 1979 role in the amazing film "Being There." In fact, you will see him in THREE performances. He brilliantly portrays a British soldier, an American president, and a German ex-Nazi scientist named Dr. Strangelove who is currently serving the U.S. administration during these stressful times. The best line of the film, and the point where I really started to understand the film, was when president Muffley (played by Sellers) broke up a fight between the Russian ambassador (Peter Bull) and General "Buck" Turgidson (George C. Scott) by telling them: "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" And apparently the concept of the War Room was so deeply imbedded into the minds of our culture through this film that even President Reagan was confused when he got into office. On his first day serving, he asked "Where is the war room?" only to be told that such a room only exists on film and within the brilliant mind of Mr. Stanley Kubrick.

Well, friends... that's all from me tonight. Tomorrow, you'll probably get another post from a sad, lonely man. If any of you even bother to read this, that is. I know I wouldn't.

Goodnight.

Love,
David

P.S. You need to see "Being There" if you haven't already. Then you need to read this exquisitely written review by Roger Ebert. He happens to be one of the few film critics with whom I generally tend to agree.

No comments: