11.25.2006

Update...

I know I haven't updated in a while, but I figured since I am home sick I would take the opportunity to do so. I am attempting to keep down some orange juice for the first time, so I may have to run to the bathroom during the course of writing this post.

First off, I am graduating on December 16th and am quite excited about this. The day I thought would never arrive is now less than a month away. I will still have grad school once I am out of here, but this is quite an accomplishment for me. But, as Mr. Eager says, "They never like to let you leave... be wary for obstacles this last semester." His last semester at WMU, he was enrolled in some recreational classes to meet those requirements (bowling, swimming, etc) and he happened to sprain his ankle during the middle of the semester. I'm only weeks away, but I'm watching for any such roadblocks that may fall before my path...

Secondly, I think WMU has one of the greatest collegiate presidents ever. Now, with Judy Bailey gone, we have Dr. Haenicke returning to the post he held for several years not too long ago. This is a wise man who all of my professors say they hold the deepest and utmost respect for this intellectual genius. I was not surprised when I logged into the GoWMU portal to check on my class assignments and happened to see that he had made a statement about diversity on the campus. When I read it, I realized that this man not only knows what he is talking about, but he knows how to say it so as not to offend those on any side of the issue. Without further ado, here it is:

Statement by President Diether Haenicke

Nov. 17, 2006

The passage of Proposal 2 in the recent election could present new challenges to our campus but will not change our core values.

While we study carefully if any of our practices may be affected by the changes in our state constitution, and while we will, of course, obey the laws of the State of Michigan, I want to assure the campus community that our commitment to diversity on campus will not change.

I think I speak for all of us when I say that we deeply appreciate the value of diversity in our student body, in our faculty, and in our staff. Our different backgrounds reflect the modern world in which we all live. It is our firm belief that a solid diversity of race, gender, and ethnic background, together with a diversity of opinions, thoughts, and lifestyles are essential to complement and enrich the academic education of our students. We will, therefore, continue to welcome on our campus all persons who contribute to the diversity we all desire. We will, as members of our university, continue our efforts to achieve and protect the diversity of our campus.


That's all from me... hopefully I will feel better soon and be able to get up and do things. But, for now, I go back to bed. This took a lot out of me. Take care.

Love,
David

No comments: